Carbon Monoxide Tips

Carbon Monoxide The Dangers Of Monoxide Leacs

It is important to avoid any safety risks from the operation of the furnace in your home during the winter season.

The furnaces are mostly gas-burning, producing a colorless, scentless and tasteless gasses of carbon monoxide (CO). In the walls of your heat exchanger the monoxide of the carbon is mainly present in your furnace. The thermal exchanger is the metal wall or tube heated by the ignition of the fire.

The gas is driven through the flue pipe of your stove and expelled from your home safely in a unit that is operating correctly. A clean, efficient gas oven produces a very small quantity of carbon monoxide but the oven continues to run and starts burning more dirt, allowing more CO gas to be generated. Your furnace can also create a crack in its heat exchanger or flue pipes for several different reasons, causing a CO-leak into your house’s air. You and your family could rapidly be in danger if a CO leak develops from your fire.


How To Avoid the hazards of leakage of carbon monoxide from your furnace:

Get your furnace’s annual repair. To stop CO leaks from your furnace, the most important thing you can do is get annual maintenance from your local HVAC company. Your technician will conduct a range of preventive measures during annual maintenance, including a full-system cleaning and an inspection during which they can detect and resolve any possible issues with your unit.

On a regular basis, change the air filter. A backup of airflow to your heating system is one source of leaks of carbon monoxide. Be sure to keep up with your filter changes during the heating season to avoid this, so that your furnace can breathe easily.


Make sure your furnace has been mounted correctly. If your blower motor was poorly mounted or your ductwork was improperly built, your furnace may have carbon monoxide venting problems. When you are getting your heating system serviced or built, always work with a trusted, certified HVAC company.

Mount detectors for carbon monoxide. Since carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas, when it has built up in your house, most people would not know. You will be warned by CO detectors of high levels of carbon monoxide.

Be mindful of the symptoms of CO poisoning. At low CO concentrations, individuals may experience exhaustion or chest pain, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. People may experience reduced vision and balance, headaches, dizziness, confusion, or nausea at higher concentrations. Note that after leaving home, exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms that clear up. CO exposure can be lethal at high concentrations.

Keep tidy and clean. By removing accumulated snow, ice, leaves, etc. around the opening, keep the area around your vents unobstructed.

Hold the outdoor portable generators. Within houses, garages, crawlspaces, or sheds, never use a portable generator. In these environments, lethal amounts of carbon monoxide can easily build up and can continue for hours, long after the generator has turned off.

Contact the trusted HVAC professionals at New Era HVAC service & Repair if you have any concerns about carbon monoxide from your boiler, need your heating system serviced, or want to make sure it has been properly installed in your home.

Call Now Button